Hon. Angelino Alfano
Former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Italy
- – Civil Law and international relations with particular expertise in banking and finance, with particular focus on:
- – Public International Law
- – International Trade Law
- – Anti-terrorism proceedings
- – Compliance for security in stadiums and large events
- – International sanctions
- – Legal protection of made in Italy in international organizations
- – Member of the Africa Committee and the Africa Team
- – Member of the Public International Law & Economic Diplomacy Focus Team
- – Member of the Corporate Compliance Focus Team
- – Consultant for Confindustria for the cooperation development with the countries on the African continent.
- – Foreign languages: English
- – Appointed President of the San Donato Group, the largest Italian group of Private Health, in July 2019.
- – Joined the firm as Of Counsel in July 2018 after having carried out an important academic and institutional career
- – Institutional activities from 1994-1997 Councilor of the Regional Province of Agrigento, from 1996-2001 Member
- of the Sicilian Regional Assembly and from 2001-2018 Member of the Chamber
- – From 2008-2018 he was Minister in three different governments: Minister of Justice, Minister of the Interior and Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation. He was the longest-serving minister in Italian history.
- – He served as Deputy Prime Minister between 2013 and 2014
- – He was member of the Council of the European Union for the Justice and Internal Affairs sectors and during the 2014 Italian presidency semester and chaired the Council of the European Union for Internal Affairs.
- – In May 2009, he chaired the G8 Justice in Rome, in 2013 the G6 Interior Ministers and in 2017 the G7 Foreign Ministers, as well as the UN Security Council.
- – Since 2013, he has been the president of the Fondazione De Gasperi.
- – During his long career as a minister he was a promoter or speaker of several bills including the laws for harsh imprisonment of the mafia and the ability of the State to seize criminal assets. He created the Codice Antimafia, which unified all related previous legislation into one.
- – In 2010 he proposed the text that was approved by parliament to reform the code of civil procedure effectively launching the electronic civil trial procedure to be a “filter” for the Supreme Court and the institute of civil mediation and allow for widespread reduction in delays of civil trials.
- – He proposed the decree that was passed into law to prevent and combat international terrorism.
- – He is the promoter of the law against stadium violence that has introduced new types of crime and new organizational measures of sports venues.
- – He proposed and approved the decree that introduced the crime of Stalking and strengthened the measures to combat gender violence.
- – He is the author of scientific articles in specialized magazines, such as New Commentary Civil Law and European
- and Private Law. He has been a speaker at various conferences and seminars at universities and institutions on
- matters related to his ministerial activity.
- Key experiences of our Team Members in setting up regulations
- – From 2008-2018 he was Minister in three different governments: Minister of Justice, Minister of the Interior and Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation. From these institutional positions he achieved a lot of experience in Public International Law.
- – In 2010 he proposed anti-corruption law, then approved.
- – He proposed, then approved in Parliament, laws for the exacerbation of the harsh prison for the Italian mafia and significantly increased the possibility for the State to attack criminal assets and has created the “Antimafia Code”.
- – He proposed, then approved in Parliament, a decree law for the prevention and contrast of international terrorism following the guidelines drawn by the UN and Europe and adding local specificities using the rules applied against the suspected mafia.
- – He proposed, then approved in Parliament, the decree that introduced the Italian regulation for Acts Persecutors (a.k.a. Stalking) who immediately found application in court to counter more effectively violence against women producing a significant decline in this type of crime.
- – He proposed to the Parliament, which in this case also approved it, a decree law for the prevention and contrast of international terrorism that has strengthened the repressive apparatus of the State following the lines drawn by the UN and Europe and adding strong national specificities such as the applicability to the suspects of terrorism of the rules applied against the suspected mafia.
- – In terms of public order, he addressed the issue of security for two major world events such as Expo Milano 2015 and the Jubilee of Mercy (2015/16).
- – He proposed to the Parliament, which approved it, a decree law against stadium violence that introduced new types of crime and also new organizational measures of sports facilities.
- – He continued to develop the project of European integration by relaunching the idea of the Common Defense System.
- – He allocated 200 million € from the Africa Fund to protect the Italian and European external borders.
- – He has engaged in collaboration with some countries, beginning with Tunisia and Niger, for more effective border management and to fight human traffickers and reduce irregular migrants.
- – He sent, first among the European countries, the Italian ambassador in Libya to offer more support to the local authorities recognized by the UN in the process of stabilization of the country.
- – He signed important agreements for our companies in China.
- – He focused heavily on economic diplomacy by supporting the activities of Italian companies abroad and urging in this direction the Italian diplomatic and consular network; 2017 was the year in which, in national economic history, the impact of exports on GDP was higher.
Qualification and Academia
– PhD in Corporate Law at the University of Palermo (1998), lecturer in Civil Law at the Università Cattolica (1994) and at the University of Palermo (1996)
– Member of the Italian bar (1996). Registered journalist (1989)
– Law degree from the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore in Milan (1993)
– Co-Professor of the «Islam in Europa: Migration, integration and security» course at the LUISS University of Rome for the master’s degree in political science.